PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of domestic routes at LHR?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2005, 11:38
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costs of transfer

It might sound reasonable to expect people to transfer from one airport to the other, but as someone based in Jersey, I can tell you it's a pain in the neck. Firstly, airlines generally won't interline between airports (even if they offer through fares, they won't transfer bags), then there's the transfer cost (around GBP35 return) and the possibility that the airline on the short flight may not accept the same max baggage weight as applied on the long flight.

Combine these three and you have the potential for a lot of inconvenience getting to peripheral areas. The govt has very little interest in this; it's most recent consultation document sought to exclude the removal of LHR access as a reason for arguing for regional flights; I doubt they're willing to do anything.

I had hoped that the move to mixed mode would permit some domestic flights to be ring fenced, but I think that's unlikely. What's particularly annoying is that you have routes like MAN with about 18-20 flights a day (mostly with A319s and 320s) - same to GLA and EDI, yet these cities have reasonable European connections. Surely it would make sense to reduce the number of flights on these routes, but maintain capacity: i.e. a Japanese solution (high density, one class aircraft). Again, possibly unlikely, since there's really no political will to stand up to BA.

Ultimately, I can see regional authorities and businesses clubbing together and investing in a smallish airline with significant LHR slots, as the only feasible way to protect access.

It's ironic that this complete lack of interest in the economic needs of the regions is being taken by the very department that has responsibility for their needs - the DfTR !!!