PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 4th Jul 2005, 19:08
maxalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and the riot act for those worthy of it.
i.e. anyone who doesn't comply with their impossible instructions.

The 180kts to the OM is a good example. Its given frequently and is usually impossible to comply with - unless you're prepared to break SOPs. And M.Mouse - that SOP is NOT peculiar to your company. Mine uses it too. In fact they adopted it as a result of recomendations by Flight Safety International (an American organisation!) who specify clearly the criteria for stabilised approaches in their regular ALARs releases (Approach and Landing Accident Review).

Funny, isn't it, how Americans often come up with these great safety ideas (Stabilised Approach criteria, CRM etc) and yet seem unable to apply them in their own system.

As regards the Penalty Box, its been there for 30 years as you said, and yes, everyone knows why its there - it was legend back in the 60's when we first started operating into ORD. It was referred to as the Penalty Box in a totally flippant manner by the controllers on ground frequency, and thats what it was there for - to penalise those who got lost on the taxi ways. The name stuck.

Sure, current ATC may have other uses for it, and sure, current ATC may not have chosen the name, but thats what its called, right there on the Jeppie plate, and thats why its there, and it still leaves a question mark over a system that engages in that kind of thinking. I suggest they change it - why not, as an act of good faith!

Check6, HOLDING can occur on the ground as well as in the air.
Maybe you didn't know that?