PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Archive source help please (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2005, 16:56
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts
My thanks for the responses so far

To quantify some more detail. The site at Sinderland was located on Sinderland moss--near the Broadheath area of Altrincham and, although I classed it as an MU, I did so because in days past the term MU covered a multitude of sins for the RAF---in this case, I think it was an ammunition store / depot of some kind. Certainly the dispersal of the site would suggest as much and as far as I am aware, it was in use well into the 50's--but could be wrong here of course.

Now to Balsall. The Hangar has solid concrete sides--and most of the access to what would be an internal balcony / offices etc--is outside. With the best will in the world, it sits in a dip and could never have been an airfield--far too boggy and the trees have been there for a long time--you can just see the place on the left as you come fom Honiley in fact--and the revetments--heading into Balsall. It seems to be used for a variety of things now, but the Hangar was not a transportable type.

A friend of mine has also done a search on the "hole in the ground" sites--being shall we say "very interested" in such matters--and nothing at all.

JDK--erm, where are the bunkers you mentioned near Weston then ? I used to fly out of there in my younger days so am familiar with the area---just curious.

As I said, I am simply curious about Sinderland--but the Balsall Common site is rather interesting to say the least.

Any more info. gratefully received and my thanks once again for your responses everbody.