PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HEMS - Regulations and saving life
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2005, 14:32
remote hook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EMS Industry

I have a few questions and concerns regarding the EMS industry, mainly in the U.S., but elswhere as well.

Being a utility pilot on lights and intermediates, I'm not personally involved unless you count the odd Medivac from a logging or seismic camp, fire or construction job.

I suppose I just wonder why with all the fancy helicopters, avionics, training and preparation, we continue to see a rash of accidents and incidents that are giving the whole concept of helicopter Medivac a bad name? Are these pilots just not experienced in confined area operations, risk vs reward thinking, and safety management? There is no job worth giving your life for, or even risking it for that matter - this includes Medivac.

I have a feeling that people get far too emotionally involved with the task at hand, severity of the wreck, state of the patient, and make poor decisions. If you are not 100% certain that a manouver or approch/departure will work, DON'T DO IT.

Now, I realize that was a blanket statement, here in Canada, STARS (Alberta) and Canadian Helicopters (Ontario, Novas Scotia) seem to have a flawless safety record. I would just like some of you with more experience in this type of work to help me understand the differences in operations, and why there is so many accidents.

Cheers RH