PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Westland Lynx (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2001, 22:23
have another coffee

Thumbs up

Thanks Grey Area for opening this topic.

To Lu,
I wish I could send you a copy of a Lynx ACM. Swash plates in a Lynx?
The Lynx is equiped with a so called spider arm. It is connected to all the pp-rods and runs through the rotorhead to an area below the MRGB. Here all three control-servos are connected to the spiderarm. By either raising or lowering the spider arm a collective input is made. By moving the spider arm left-right or forward-aft (around 70 degrees offset) a cyclic input is made.
Simple eh?

All the problems started in my opinion when the composite rotorblades were introduced. There a gross handling difference between the old and new blades. Most probably caused by less flexibility in the new blades. This together with higher RRPMs and less coning angles changed the steering caracteristics a lot. Most noticable with ASE off. There we can agree. In no way, by my own experience, introduced this dangerous characteristics. It's just more unstabel to fly with the new blades.
The worst thing is the new blades introduced a massive rise in vibration levels. Also the new blades are very very sensitive to eg. salt or dirt, this makes the helicopter shake in as never experienced before.

[This message has been edited by have another coffee (edited 10 March 2001).]