PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RFDS vs RPT
Thread: RFDS vs RPT
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2005, 06:44
Capt Claret

Bottums Up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
John,

Having flown B200 for the NTAMS (Northern Territory Aerial Medical Service) which is much the same as RFDS and RPT Dash8, my take would be ....

Aeromedical can give one a great sense of community service. Some places are interesting, others demoralising. My shifts, almost all on-call, in the early 90's were something like, 5days 0600-1800, 2days off, 5 nights 1800-0600, 3 or 4 days off, start all over again.

Some times one wouldn't fly for two weeks, other times one was shagged. Overall, I though it a great lifestyle for a family person, as signifficant time home was available to spend with partner/kids, though it could be a little uncertain.

The down sides are, being on-call for night shift, where the phone inevitably goes just after you get into bed. I recall one night where I did 3 separate retrievals, each one being phoned through after returning to bed from the previous sortie.

By the time I left in June '95 I was quite saddened that much of our work was as a result of alcohol abuse.

Now, DH8 RPT. That was most enjoyable. The Dash is a great machine with no vices that come to mind, save it being a prick-of-a-thing to land smoothly.