PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Northolt, never again
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2005, 19:15
inbalance

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry RAF Northolt, never again

I have flown 3 Passengers into RAF Northolt with a King Air Yesterday.
The flight was uneventful, but after the arrival our Passengers had to wait 20 Minutes for their Taxi. We talked to handling about the Taxi the day before on the phone and we informed them 30 Minutes before our arrival via the radio, and again asked them to make sure that the taxi will be in place at the time of our arrival.

Travelling between European Countries we don´t need a Passport, the German ID Card is enough. We have been a hundred times to Biggin Hill and the customs always found it OK that our Passengers only had their ID Cards with them.
Not at Northolt.
Our Passengers left the airfield for their business without any problems, but on their way back Northolt Security didn´t let them access the Airfield without a Passport.
They didn´t even wanted to talk with us about the problem. It is like it is, no Passport - no access.
The books doesn´t say anything about having a Passport with you at Northolt, nor the Handling Agent told us in advance.

So we took the decision to fly to Biggin Hill and meet our Passengers there.
The Weather was fine and to save time we planned to fly VFR and didn´t make a flightplan.
We got our start up, taxied to the active. After 10 Minutes of waiting for the Take Off Clearance, we where told by ATC that we have to taxi back to the Ramp and talk to operations first.
We taxied back and tried to talk to handling about the radio, but they also told us, that we have to shut down the engines and see the operation Manager at his office.

We went to the office, I was really angry at that time. At the Operation Office they let us wait 3 Minutes and then we where told that we could fly to Beggin now.

During the flight to Biggin Hill, ATC did a great Job to vector us true the busy London Airspace to a 5 Miles final at Biggin. The flight took us 10 Minutes only.
Our Passengers needed 3,5 hours by taxi from Northolt to Biggin Hill.

I am still angry about that. The last time I have seen such a behaviour was 20 years ago in Russia.

I have talked to the German border police about that and they told me that there is a binational agreement between Germany and all European countries that the German ID is sufficient to travel to that countries and to identify yourself.

It was my first flight to Northolt and they can be sure that it also has been the last time for me.
Is there an official address, where I can send a letter to complain about that?

Inbalance