PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why pay $75,000?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2005, 03:37
franksnbeans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Applying my twisted logic to the situation, when looking for a flying school, I would think about what you want to do as a possible first job for two reasons. The first has to do with the planes that you would fly in that job, and the second to do with how much you will earn (and how long it will take to find work!).

Different schools use different planes. Some of the other more experienced guys here could be of more help on this matter, but if you go "up north" as they say, your first job is likely to be in a single engine cessna. At the end of the day, a plane is a plane, and experienced gained is always benificial. But if I were hiring someone to fly a cessna and had to decide between Mr A, who had most of their time in a warrior, or Mr B, who had most of his time in a cessna... All other things being equal, I'd probably go for the cessna guy.

The second reason is located herein... Just to echo the sentiments made by the many above, flying will cost you a bundle - no matter where you go. If you pay as you go (ie: no loan), when you finish your training, you have no debt over your head, so you are free to go where the work is, without a care in the world about earning money whilst you look. If you have to service a loan, you would be limited in how far away from dosh you could travel.

Having said that, I would have no problems borrowing money for training if I had a garentee of work at the end.

And like some of the guys (and girls) before me, I worked 3 jobs to fund it, so I didn't have a debt. But it doesn't matter where the money comes from. If you appreciate any help that you get (parents), most people will have no problems whatsoever. By this I mean don't buggar around and be slack. Have a good attitude, believe in yourself and you will do fine.
rgds