PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC perks
Thread: ATC perks
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2005, 15:19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AP

It depends what you call a perk! Short answer is "no".
Controllers are treated like some weird lifeform that nobody quite knows what to do with.....sure we are reasonably paid, but that's about it.
I've been controlling for 30 years and have never been on a jumbo, or flown long haul, or had any kind of free or discounted ticket anywhere. I controlled concorde for most of its working life and never got above 85 on the waiting list.
The only perk used to be what most intelligent people would consider to be a form of continuation training and awareness....namely fam flights, and liaison visits to relevant ATC units.....these were stopped, and now one has to make a begging case or scratch around for one of the grubby unofficial schemes.....all this being on days-off......however there is no shortage of funds and time-off for management courses.
My daughter is at this moment on the 283 to LA on a full price ticket paid for by me.....and if she doesn't get a blanket, No Big Airline plane will ever get a short cut ever again.
P.S. got a watch after 25 years, and promise not to tell, but still have threadbare canvas bag issued by mistake in 1982.