PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2005, 14:05
Phone Wind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years ago, I was offered a job flying for a Nigerian company and I'm really glad I didn't take it because soon afterwards they went out of business, and I'd have probably ended up not getting paid, and maybe even stuck in Nigeria with n o ticket out (many of their machines can now be seen in the Benin 'aviation graveyard' ). There are several companies which started with a lot of publicity and fanfares as the new great hopes for indigenous operations to succeed, but what is now to be seen of Okada, Southern Air, Stillwater and the various other operators which have come fleetingly and sunk with little trace over the years? There have also been cases of pilots and engineers being arrested and held in prison after disagreements with local directors. I think tokunbo's advice about thinking twice is pretty sound - despite Nigeria being a democracy these days, the rule of law and contracts are still nothing like they would be working for European or American companies (and yes, I accept that this is pretty common throughout the Third World)..