PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 1st Jul 2005, 12:22
Austrian Simon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello, Bealzebub,

>>"I could hear the controller taking a deep breath". You could ?

At that point, just before he started to issue the commands, I could hear him taking a deep breath (while still taking the breath and preparing the commands he already had pushed the talk button), later on - between the commands - I couldn't hear any more breath, as he issued the commands in just one stream of words without taking a breath in between.

>>"The usual practise of just "shifting" to the right ... " Is that the usual practice ?

As far as I am aware of, yes, to give room to the departing aircraft. It's certainly not a good idea to stay right atop of the departing airplane (and thus, besides producing a possible conflict, loose it out of sight, too, under visual flight rules).

>>"QNH" in the US ?

Sorry, habit (using European phraseology) - and one should never type in a hurry ;-)

There are two more errors in my previous post ... A 0 too many (600, not 6000 movements/day in average - otherwise they would shift nearly as much traffic as KDFW), and it was runway 21, not 03.

Nonetheless, those (misreported) details don't invalidate the encounters, which do raise some questions as far as I am concerned.

Simon

Last edited by Austrian Simon; 1st Jul 2005 at 12:36.