PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worthwhile
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2005, 05:09
goaround7

I got crapped on from a great height a while back by the 'old grizzlies' for replying to a question like this positively, especially for suggesting that most of us would still carry on flying even if we won the lottery.

I still stand by my assessment that these are guys who did not pay for their own licences, have never tried an alternative boring office job or worse and don't know how lucky they are.

Still, a good while and many hours on, after a series of twelve hour days in a single engine helicopter flying over water with a leaking ferry tank, stinking and puking from Jet A-1 fumes, and then getting stuck in a rancid, decaying part of Africa for five days waiting for a clearance, I will admit to getting a little p'd off now and then.

However, I still get up happily the next day to go do it all again. At least it's not boring. I can't imagine a bunch of McDonald's workers or chartered accountants swopping crazy stories until 3am on many occasions.

Just know that it's not likely to be worth it financially unless you make it to the top in an airline. It's a question of what's most important to you.