PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversion charges ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2005, 19:02
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear, and I thought my point was obvious.

The point I was making is that diversion airfields are a part of flight planning. I was objecting to what appeared to be the suggestion that having to divert from a VFR only airfield meant your flight planning was poor. My example of tomorrow's wx was to show that however careful you care, you can't be sure the wx won't be marginal, or worse, unless you never take off unless it's CAVOK and set to stay that way.

Should the landings be free? Well, I suppose I might think twice about diverting if the wx wasn't all that bad, and if I knew my diversion airfield had a £50 landing fee. I shouldn't, but it might just enter into the no/no go decision. I don't think it would, for me (before anyone flames me!) But I can see that it might for some. Things aren't always that clear-cut and obvious, are they?

So for the sake of those few people who might be swayed by it, why not have free weather diversions? If it saves a life, even that of a poor decision-maker with Scrooge-like tendencies, it sounds OK to me.