PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My ATC's better (spit & scratchfest)
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2005, 18:48
vector4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to answer for AMF, but...

49 years ago today, on June 30, 1956, a TWA L-1049 Super Constellation collided with a United Airlines DC-7 over Grand Canyon, Arizona. All 128 passengers and crew aboard both aircraft were killed.
I don't see what that has to do with anything, as I recall, the aircraft were operating under VFR flight rules and no separation was being provided. All quite "normal" for the times.

1991: remember LAX USAir B737 and the Metroliner?
I remember, and while you seem quite indignant about the memory of the controller who was stabbed to death, I assume you didn't know there was a California controller killed in the Metro, did you?

I feel sorry for the people involved and the innocent lives killed,
I'm sure most of us do.

9/11 was a disaster and so was the security and the alerting system to scramble F15s etc. What did ATC/NORAD do? Sleep?
Now I think you've crossed the line a step or two further than AMF. U.S. controllers did not "sleep" during 9/11, and in fact, all North American ATC was praised for the work we did that day in handling a situation not even remotely considered possible before that day.

To ALL US controllers (read: only the John Wayne cowboys)

Have you introduced "AVIATION SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM" into your ATM yet??? Have you also heard about "hot spots"? Basically try to avoid unnecessary conflicts!!

And have you tried to follow ICAOs recommendations like the rest of the world?
I have no idea whether I qualify as a "John Wayne cowboy" in your view, (though I did grow up on a small cattle ranch in Texas!) However, to answer your question directly, I'll read the ICAO handbook when my employer sets it in front of me and says "Learn this". Until then, I have quite enough stuff to learn and read at work to keep me busy, thank you. Darn stuff leaks out about as fast as I can pour it back in lately...

But feel free to call Marion and suggest the U.S. change over to strict ICAO procedures. I'm sure she's as anxious to hear your views as she is mine...

I will ask drivers a simple question. At the end of a long flight, do you want an approach that doesn\'t spring any surprises on you, that is going to give you an intercept to final approach that isn\'t going to leave you high or fast with a TCAS bluttering at you about vertical speed and low level VFR traffic in you vicinity, with a runway change sprung on you at the last minute, all the while with the guy on the other end of the r/t trying his best to break the "words per minute" record?

Jerricho,

I dunno, but if I ask some SWA pilot friends, they\'d probably reply they wouldn\'t feel at home any other way!