PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversion charges ?
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2005, 17:16
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.....I'm looking at the forecast for tomorrow for Flying For Fun. It looks OK, but there's a warm front approaching from the west. At the moment it looks as though it'll only affect the west of the UK by the afternoon, but everyone knows that rate of movement of fronts is notoriously hard to predict. So, if I go, I'll be leaving Sleap early in the morning for Kemble, and hoping to return late afternoon. I'll make the decision in the morning, and make the decision for my return flight later in the day. I hope I'll get it right, but it'll be hard to be certain. But if I don't, there are plenty of diversion airfields on the way...Gloucester, Shobdon, Welshpool. If there weren't, I'd be far more concerned. I don't actually care if landing there is free or not - but I might...think about it, I suppose. But noting that there are diversion airfields is a necessary part of my flight planning, in such cases. Or so it would seem to me.

Is that poor flight planning, or chancing it in marginal weather? Or just the sort of normal decision one has to make when flying in the UK? 2Donkeys?