PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 30th Jun 2005, 11:33
ASRAAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to leave aside all issues regarding personalities and examine some of the procedures in force on both sides of the Atlantic which are designed (I assume) to speed traffic flow whilst not increasing risk levels significantly.

Perhaps you all have opinions as to which procedures offer a worthwile risk/benifit gain. I know I do!

Land and Hold Short. According to FAA rules not to be used by foreign carriers, yet regularly offered to them. Often despite a flight plan entry and even a prior radio call to approach. Occasionally the timings are wrong and that results in 1 or more go-arounds, does it cause more trouble than its worth?

Landing clearances: In the UK only given when the runway is available to a landing aircraft. In the US often given at 10 miles or more with other traffic to land or depart.

Line Up clearances (Separate T/O and Landing Runways in use). In the US only issued after the preceding aircraft has departed.
In the UK line up after regularly used to reduce time between departures.

Would you rather line up after someone or land after someone who is landing after someone else thats taking off?

Thoughts Anyone?