PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NDB Tracking with wind
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2005, 08:07
OzExpat

PPRuNeaholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read what you wrote bookworm. I'm not exactly sure how we managed to meander into racetracks and holding patterns, when the topic clearly centred on NDB tracking. One is demonstrably NOT tracking anything except DR on the o/b leg of a holding pattern or racetrack. I'm not going to get any further into any of that myself.

However, I feel that I must still take issue with you about using anything in excess of the actual amount of correction for drift. To take any more than that, you will not be anywhere near where you're expected to be, by the end of the o/b timing. You might still be within the procedure protection area, but I stress the word "might". That's a helluva word to use when considering the safety of the flight and your responsibilitity towards the pax.

And you also MIGHT have eroded some of the separation that ATC provides, to keep other aircraft way from you. If this is applied, it'll be based on the dimensions of the primary protection area, plus about a mile.

All in all, I believe that your Check Captain will - quite rightly - want to see that you remain within your 5-degrees tracking tolerance on the o/b and i/b leg. If you happen to get a check on a day (or night ) with 50+ knots of wind across the o/b leg, the Checkie might take more than a passing interest in the way you handle the approach...