PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 29th Jun 2005, 21:29
Rananim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
US ATCO's operate to an impeccable standard;BUT they are highly demanding and if you dont know how to play ball,they will let you know in no uncertain terms.Most foreign pilots learn this very quickly and as someone has already said,most blend in very well with the staccato abbreviated form of R/T.Some of the long-winded highly standardized R/T that you hear in Europe just wouldnt work in the States.There isnt enough air time.Traffic rates in LHR and CDG,whilst impressive,are probably about 60-70% of ORD or LAX.
Know the environment in which you operate and react accordingly.Dont go giving long-winded readbacks in crowded US airspace because they wont like it.They want to know you copied the heading and altitude and thats it.Its a matter of trust.They know what they're doing and they expect the same from you.No need to dot the i's and cross the t's.Its a gentleman's agreement.

Idunno,
Have re-read some of your obnoxious banter and I can see your problem;dont negotiate US airspace with a UK mindset.Recognize the two different operating techniques,accept it,and react accordingly.Empirically,they are both very safe operating environments.
Take off the speedbird cap,lighten up,take a coffee break and I promise you your next trip will be real charmer...