PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building: Questions, Ideas, Advice, Countries etc
Old 29th Sep 2001, 16:22
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll find all the information you need, including contact numbers/e-mail address, if you click here: Commander Chuck's website

Cardinal is owned by Chuck Street who as 'Commander Chuck' provides traffic reports for Kiss FM, one of the LA radio stations.
The helicopter, a JetRanger, is based at Fullerton airfield (not far from Nott's Berry Farm/DisneyLand if you know the area).
You fly two slots a day (6-9 am and 3-5 pm) and cover a large area, South to Orange County and North to Malibu.
'Comfort breaks' during the shifts are taken at various sites which give you practice of helipad, pinnacle and confined area landings.
You can book up as many slots as you want or, as I did, the full week. You'll probably need to book well in advance - it's very popular.
I did this in 1997, and recommend it. Chuck is a great guy, and the flying (and sight-seeing) is fun.

One word of caution.
Some people say that, because you fly from the Left seat, the CAA won't count the hours as P1. The contrary argument is that because you're flying an 'N' Reg a/c on your FAA endorsement, the FAA Regs apply and the hours can be counted.
I've not checked the Regs to see which argument is correct because I did it to gain experience, and wasn't hours building for a licence/rating.
It seems from your post that the hours building aspect is important so you might want to check the position with someone who knows the CAA Regs. (Cardinal won't be able to answer this question.)

PS
If you contact Chuck, pleae give him my regards. I was there in 1997.)

Tudor Owen

[ 29 September 2001: Message edited by: Flying Lawyer ]