PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is contaminated bleed air harmful? YES...
Old 29th Jun 2005, 04:54
BirdyBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neutrino, I know what you mean having flown the 146 for 4 years but now with XX on the 737 but still get gassed but to a lesser extent.

The 146 is not a safe working environment and after one of our pilots was terminated because our employer could not 'ensure a safe working environment' you had to shut up or vote with your feet! I recall several flights where crews forgot to lower the gear, or missed RT calls or acted dumb as their heads were not working as you would expect when we smelt the dirty socks. But you know how it is, nobody speaks out. I should have then and do now.

To answer the question by Trol E Doll, first we had many passengers complaining and getting off sick but we never asked who they were so hell knows what happens to the sick passengers and young children. My cousin is a legal guy in Perth and he tells me there are over 100 accepted 'workers compensation claims' in all states of Australia due to individuals being sick due to air contamination events.

I remember one flight into Perth we had nearly all the passengers asleep and the plane smelt bad, 2 FAs could not get off their seats and it was lunchtime! To me that was CO and others toxic compounds that did that, the captain refused to write it up.

We never used oxygen but if I was back on the flying gas chamber I would now. It has affected me I am sure of it.