PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 29th Jun 2005, 01:11
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ATC issues

It seems it is always easy to rant about another country's ATC system. Whether the phrasology is atrocious or a non-ICAO language is used (where are you Jerricho?) it seems that there's always a certain type of complainers involved that expect the world to turn around them, and cry and complain if this is not the case.

I have flown in Europe and the US/Mexico/Canada and I don't see "dangers" in either system. The key is to adjust yourself:

In Europe ONH and QFE is used and this lengthens the communication part a little. Additionally, one gets his route clearance after the t/o clearance (not sure, if this is still the case) which I found very distracting.

Controllers in the US have a slight tendency to be a little chatty (centers), but I find most airports pretty well managed (with the exception of KIAD!!!)

The non-English ATC environemt has been discussed at great lengths here, but as a non-Spanish speaker crossing the high Sierra Madre N of MEX in non-radar environment I felt it as a challenge without ever feeling in grave danger. You can either accept something out of the "box" or you can whine and complain. The key to all is to accept that the world is different and more diverse than you sometimes want it to be. Remember what you learned in your PPL training: "see and avoid".

7 7 7 7