PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wrong-way downwind joins
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 10:42
Spitoon

My dear Send Clowns, I have worked an aerodrome in Class D airspace for many years and, whilst you may not see any point in using an overhead join, I can assure you I have instructed many an aircraft to do one because it's the safest way to integrate it into the traffic flow. Granted it's not always a good idea, for example, if there's a jet rolling I don't want a light aircraft crossing the climb out at circuit height - and there are many other good reasons why an overhead join may be more trouble than it's worth. But that's my job as a controller - to look at the big picture. I mean no disrespect to any light aircraft pilots (I am one myself at times) but there have been too many occasions when passing traffic information has not been enough to prevent a potentially hazardous situation arising which I, as controller, then have to help to resolve.

In Class D in nice wx, yes the controller only has to pass traffic and not separate VFR aircraft but he or she also has to manage the overall flow of traffic within the airspace. This is why many controllers (although not all) provide more specific clearances than are necessary.

Slightly off topic I know but this perspective may well help to understand why joining instructions are issued the way they are. Why would the controller want an aircraft to go opposite direction to the downwind traffic I still don't know - the ony person who can tell is likely to be the controller.

So, FF, even if you're bored, if you want the answer, give the controller a call. Perhaps your controller simply believes that VFR flights get traffic and then sort themselves out!

vancouv, CAP 413 (Chapter 4 Page 32) now includes a description of the standard overhead join.

Speaking as a controller \'deadside\' join is not a term I\'m familiar with.
I think I would call what you describe a crosswind join.

Using the CAP 413 diagram, a crosswid join would be appropriate if you were approaching from the \'South\'. This would enable you to descend to circuit height as you near the field and to join the crosswind leg directly. By contrast, an overhead join would require you to stay at 2000ft or whatever, come to the overhead, fly to the North of the field and then to make a 180° turn starting your descent to circuit height around position 1 on the diagram.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Spitoon; 28th Jun 2005 at 10:57.