PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 28th Jun 2005, 10:04
HEATHROW DIRECTOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad someone picked up that poor R/T quoted by AMF!

Re: the Concorde incident, all I can say is that I am amazed and can only assume some pilots must change dramatically when they enter US airspace. That sort of behaviour is unheard of at Heathrow (as far as I know!). I've experienced thousands of "non-standard" R/T incidents but I have never heard of an R/T exchange like that quoted. There are bound to be times when little niggles come across, but it seems totally out of character for any pilot to behave like that. Most of my dealings with crews - and I worked more than a million flights in my career - were polite and with standard R/T. Humourous interludes were not unknown - and greatly appreciated - but the sort of verbal haranguing by both sides quoted above I have never experienced. The pilot was obviously wrong, but ATC should have him telephone to discuss the matter rather than mouthing off on the R/T for all to hear. I'd stilll like to see a proper transcript because I know only too well how stories get changed as time goes by...

Incidentally, I'm not biased for or against any nationality. I've worked with American pilots since the mid-60s. Always found them courteous and hold them in high regard.