PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Psychometric Testing
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 08:13
A/F Armed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well there certainly are some very interesting comments in this thread and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
The harsh reality of the situation is, that if you wish to work for a company that is part of the Qantas Group you will need to pass those skills, aptitude and psychometric tests. That's it, there is no way around it.
Just the same as if you want to join the army as a grunt, you have to pass a battery of aptitude tests. Or if you want to fly for the RAAF, same again (they are much harder than the Qantas battery). In fact these days it is a fairly common practice for most employers in non aviation sectors to have their potential employees put through a battery of tests to get a better idea of who they are dealing with.

The suggestion was made that you can learn to pass these tests. Maybe the skills and aptitude but not the psychometrics. You can't fool the system on those two tests, there are too many inbuilt markers that will show if you are being honest or not.

The other comment I would like to offer to readers of this post is just because you make it through to the Sim and Interview doesn't mean that you will get an offer of employment. The Qantas group can pick and choose who they want. If you go in and have a bad sim, then that is hard but if you haven't developed an instrument scan in your day to day flying you won't have one in the 45 minutes that you are flying that sim.
There is an acceptable amount of nerves that is taken into account with scoring your session, but either you can fly the profile or you can't. It's no secret what is expected of you, and it's not like you don't know that you are going to do it.

I am sure that there will be a number of people that will say that my post has been a waste of time to read, but to those people I say that proper preparation and planning on your behalf will make your life so much easier on the day.

My final thought. If you go through the process and give it 100%effort and are unsuccessful then you can hold your head high and say that you did your best, but if you didn't do everything possible to give yourself the best chance then you were never being fair to yourself.

The system may not be perfect but it is the one we are stuck with ladies and gents so adapt, improvise and overcome!

Best of Luck to all of you who have the focus and determination to get what you want out of life.