PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pinnacle Airlines aircraft incident
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 06:57
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Air rabbit,

After reviewing the documents most pertinent to this occurance, perhaps you will be willing to share your reaction to the facts as they are presently available for everyone to see.

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2005/Pinn...ts/default.htm

The NTSB will release it's opinion of these facts in due course. Barring any radical revisions to the current state of the facts, most of the story is clear enough to draw a few conclusions. The only unresolved questions relate to the events following the stall. Namely, to find the precise reason why an airstart was not successful on at least one of the engines. The right engine overtemped so severely (FDR data) that it may indeed have been locked up due to thermal damage and incapable of running. I did not find any indication that the examination of either engine has been completed. Is core-lock phenominon (sudden cooling causing a loss of operating clearances) a factor which explains why the left engine was not restarted? This is being investigated. Or did the extreme stress and time pressure of this situation lead to a crew failure to properly configure the bleed system to attempt a start on the left engine? It would be handy information to have in case this scenario (dual engine failure) ever occurs again, perhaps as the result of encountering CAT, wake or aggressive maneuvering to avoid collision. The parties to the investigation must be very interested in this question. I know that I am.

If commenting on the implications made by the currently available facts offends, that is a shame. As for the effect that "seeing pilots villified" may have on up-and-coming pilots, sometimes the facts are unpleasant but that is not a good reason to attempt to censor it by using indirect references to chide others. Please be forthright and speak clearly to make your point, whatever it might be. There are several valuable lessons to be learned here. The real utility of sites like this one is that it provides an open forum for reasoned discussion and exchange of ideas. Or to let off steam! While I agree that rampant and uninformed speculation is certainly not appropriate, discussing the implications raised by the published facts certainly is. So is commenting on the poor taste exhibited by Pinnacle management when they denied any responsibility for the crash by putting ALL of the blame on the crew and none on themselves in public statements. Perfectly understandable from a business standpoint, but still not very laudable, to say the least.

Best regards,

Westhawk