PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2005, 04:41
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Komo Kapers

Got a few shots somewhere that I'll have to drag out of the old Grouper in pievan and I think one of myself at Komo.

I remember one trip out of Komo late afternoon, just airborne bound for Kiunga when advised by ATC Madang that I was to divert to Tari for a medical emergency. After some chatter trying to find someone else to do ther job, I went to Tari to find two locals in pretty bad shape waiting to be airlifted out. It transpired that they had 'had the bone' pointed at them and were on their last legs, even though they had been in a tribal fight, displaying numerous axe cuts to the head and elswhere.

By this time it was dark, and Madang gave me the option Magang or Moresby. Being a rather devout coward and not wanting to traverse the mountains to Madang I opted for Moresby (That was where home was too) But I did not have enough fuel for either destination. So back to Komo in the dark, landing with landing lights, refuelled and departed again for POM.

The LASALT was a bit high but once I got over Lake Kutubu, revised thae LASALT and continued on with a reasonable cabin temp. The hero's in the back survived the trip only to pass away some weeks later.