PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 27th Jun 2005, 19:45
Spitoon

It's rather sad to see how this thread is progressing.

I speak as a mere controller. I've only worked in the UK. But every airport is different. They each have problems / challenges for controllers just as they do for pilots - I have no doubt this ois the case the world over. Some airports are busier than others. Some have more passengers than others. Some have more parking stands than others. So what?

The pilot of an aeroplane doesn't care about the x thousand other flights that go through the airport each year. The passengers don't care about the millions of pax that are handled. They only care about the one flight they're on. And their main care is that it's safe.

So it doesn't matter which airport we're talking about or which side of the Atlantic (or Pacific or whatever) it is. It doesn't matter what size or type of aircraft it is. The procedures that are applied by ATC (or in other examples, by the pilots) are what matters.

On the basis of what is currently known about this incident, there appears to be a hazard that would be obvious to anyone doing a hazard analysis on the procedures. How the hazard is managed properly is what is important - and who it is or where it is is more or less irrelevant.

What we should be concentrating on is how to stop it happening again - ever.

For everyone's sake.