PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is CPL worth it?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2005, 15:20
locusthunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ibaker,

Aren't you either doing something for fun, to make money, or to make the world a better place?

Will a CPL make you money? No- that's not your intention.
Will a CPL be fun? Maybe- if you decide it is.
Will your CPL make the world a better place? At best only slightly marginally and for the cost of it, maybe it's better instead to get other endorsements/ratings or spend more time with a good instructor- go for a check flight every 6 months instead of the "sign-me-off" BFR. With your knowledge and expreience you could read a few more theory books and this would be as valuable if not more than actually doing your CPL exams. (Although sometimes the formal study actually makes you do it rather than thinking about it).

To answer your question, will a CPL make you safer? Many will say yes but that's debatable. Paying attention to safety and increasing your knowledge and skills will make you safer. I have flown with PPL holders who know their aeroplane and are vigiliant in their approach to flying, sometimes they are more knowledgable and safer than a new CPL. On the other hand, I have flown with PPL holders with 1500+ hours who are in a word...terrible.

Most of the flying between PPL and CPL is command time anyway. The flights with a (Grade 1) instructor to bring you up to commercial standard and the general approach that you have to take to get a CPL should be good experience but there may be more beneficial ways of gaining knowledge and experience.

Of course, getting a CPL is useless unless you take a safety-conscious approach everytime you fly. Instead of CPL, you could fly with an instructor every 6 months or so to learn something instead of a "sign-me-off" BFR every two years. How are your forced landings? How are your radio calls in all types of airspace? How well do you know your systems on the aircraft you fly? Do you always brief your passengers properly? Could you do a weight and balance and performance chart for your aircraft easily? Do you have issues interpreting forecasts and putting a flight plan in the system? Can you navigate well without a GPS? Do you think about flying before you get to the airport? (i.e. weather, pressures to get home on a nav etc.)

These are basic questions but ones in which many PPL holders struggle with after a little bit of time out of the flying game or even just irregular flying.

I would rather see a private pilot who really knows her/his stuff rather than a CPL who sort of knows something or other.

...hope this helps...my thoughts for the evening...

Last edited by locusthunter; 27th Jun 2005 at 16:10.