PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR going out to contract.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2005, 07:22
exleckie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crab.

I am not at liberty to say where or what the operation to which I refer is, but you are dead centre on target.

Limited SAR remit? The primary function of the operation is SAR, be it overland, overwater, night and day, however, you are correct that there is a limited night time overwater capability.

Yes I agree that the compared to a UK SAR flight, The number of call outs will be lower per annum. This does not make the SAR operation any less valid than any other.

True, the operation does have an SH role, but it is not an SH sqn.

Lastly though, you are way off mark with the the assumption that the engineering staff have been increased to maintain servicability levels. The establishment of engineers has remained the same from the start of the contract to the present day. The "additional engineers" (all 2 of them) you may be paying reference to, were brought on board to bring the engineering contingency up to full strength iaw CAA requirements, so, essentially, the operation was 2 men down whilst still providing serviceable cabs.

In over two years of operation, it has been a very rare occasion that a sortie has been missed due to aircraft unserviceability.

As I have previously stated 4 aircraft, 10 engineers, 95% seviceability, 24 hrs a day,7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Which means

Happy crews who fly till their hearts are content because the level of service given to them is over and above the contract itself.

Which means,

Value for money without any erosion of operational capability.

Exleckie