PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Contrails - how do I predict them?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2005, 06:20
SIGMET nil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This (Monday) morning I saw some persistent contrails on the early passes of the NOAA polar orbiting satellite and the earliest visible pictures of Meteosat 8. They were located over East Anglia and initially also in the London Area.

It fits in the picture outlined in my earlier post. An airmass boundary with unstable air and thunderstorms over the channel is adjacent to weak high pressure influence over Southern England.
I would expect the contrails to grow less persistent and to disappear entirely in the course of the day, as subsidence (sinking motion) is setting in over the Southeast of England.

Tomorrow morning I expect persistent contrails to be visible over the area from London to East Anglia before the clouds of the reactivated airmass boundary, by then a warmfront, will blot them out.

I must add, that I'm not very experienced in this matter and these thoughts are rather experimental.

Another link for great satellite pictures from polar orbiting satellites courtesy of the UNI Bern:
http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/

Click in the line marked level1b on the resolution you would like. With a fast connection choose fullres for the best quality.