PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation in ATC
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2005, 04:35
Scott Voigt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

New Model;

Yes I can see that the controller sitting there and overseeing can see more of what is going on, sort of like the handoff person who is not having to talk can generally see more of what is going on since they are not focusing on individual aircraft all the time, however the problem lies in not seeing all the traffic by being involved. It more of the problem of not being involved and STAYING involved in the traffic picture. In studies with both pilots and controllers, human factors folks have seen that we humans are TERRIBLE at keeping the picture on things when we aren't activly engaged in doing it. Just sitting and watching our attention wanders from time to time if we are not activly engaged in what is going on, which we aren't if we are just watching the machine do it. I see this as a huge problem in the future with the types of traffic levels we are talking about getting into.

Oh, earlier I gave you some places to go and talk with folks about human factors <G>. I just got back from doing some work with the FAA human factors folks... Boy are they doing some neat stuff <G>...

regards

Scott