PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 26th Jun 2005, 20:03
RRAAMJET

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deary- me....

Calm down Dunno, I couldn't find you going beserk on the internet over the Milan ground-collision thread.....
"Carnarsie...criminal...mess... " - remember Kai Tak? We Brits created that. I loved it, was based there on 1011's and -400's for years, had several exciting approaches and separations, best fun a man could have with his pants on. Stay calm, prepared for a go-around, back-up plan in hand. Carnarsie's a walk in the park by comparison.
You can always refuse line-up clearance if you're not happy, as per AE flight you commented on; you just end up listening to aggravated New-yoyka controllers berating you. Just remember - YOU'RE in command - not the FAA, although they'd like to try and persuade you otherwise.

Back to topic:

I have found that several of the US airports are now operating in "Southwest Airlines" mode, ie: trying to vector everyone in on the fastest, steepest approach they think you can manage. My neighbour is an FAA Area-Manager; he told me "..we try to help them out - we love them..." yawn.
It used to infuriate me at LAX in particular. The weather would be hazy/foggy and they'd want you at high speed on the slope. Well guess what - you can't slow a 747-400 with a 10 kt tail wind from "at least 200" at the marker and still be stabilized by 1000ft without giving the pax a rough ride, or possibly deviating above the path to slow down. Silly. I used to "request to slow", now I just tell them I'm doing it.
And as for departing...well, ever seen some of the stuff at El Paso with tailwinds off 04 or ABQ? To satisfy who (no prizes)? Yes, you can do it, but why erode margins willingly like that?

Part of the underlying problem in the US is the lack of coherent government policy on Transportation. Laissez-faire economics has led to less-than optimum utilization of resources, including airport capacity. I'm amazed every time I sit waiting in the 777 behind a line of RJ's at ORD or wherever, pi$$ing away fuel. Meanwhile, Senator This-or-that campaigns to let his "pet" lobbying airline access to the same field despite it already operating at over-capacity.

Kudos to the US Air co-pilot. Nasty fright.