PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 26th Jun 2005, 17:26
JW411

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Idunno:

I have only just found this thread having just got back from my latest travels. You obviously have a great difficulty about flying in the USA and I tend to agree with many of the posters that you should probably stay at home.

411A made the statement that things "are different here" and that is absolutely true. What you have to get your head round is accepting that other countries have different ways of doing things and then find out how to use their system to your best advantage.

When I first started going to the USA there were no such things as SIDs and STARS. On taxi-out at JFK, LAX or ORD the ENTIRE clearance for the ENTIRE route was read out in EVERY DETAIL and, by God, you had to read it back to perfection or you went nowhere!

Nowadays it is quite simple.

What really bothered me was your quote:

"The Carnasie Approach at JFK is criminal - widebody heavies doing finals turns at 200'"

You are obviously a "push button" pilot. I always absolutely loved the Carnasie VOR approach for it gave me a chance to exercise my hand-flying skills and it was always enormous fun.

The most dangerous part of the Carnasie approach is actually the increased fuel burn involved (as opposed to a straight-in on 22L off the Atlantic) and if you cock it up you could easily be hurting for fuel.

Do you seriously imagine that the NY Port Authority are going to move thousands of residents out of Ozone Park just because you find it difficult?

Now just before you retort that I don't know what I'm talking about, I have a CAA and an FAA ATPL rated for the DC-10 and spent 3 years based at JFK for a Part 121 operator.