PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avionics Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2005, 15:00
diethelm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John:

I agree that the little 2 inch screen on the KLN94 is not nearly as good as the 4 inch in the 430 or 5 inch in the 530.

That is why I added the KMD550 which is a 5 inch color display. Viewed from all angles, I thought this screen had better resolution than the Garmin and it has more actual screen dedicated to the data as it is does not display the com and nav frequency information. In addition, you can change the KMD550 display to quickly toggle between traffic, navigation and weather or choose to overlay. Same thing goes with the 825 HSI digital display over the KCS55 steam gauge HSI disply. With the 825, I can pump other info, such as traffic, into this display which is in a normal scan. In addition, the Honeywell package is less expensive than similar equipment from Garmin.

In a perfect world, I wish Honeywell built a general aviation GPS with no screen which would simply drive the MFD like the kt73 TIS and the weather data box. If I could not fit in the KMD 550, I would certainly take a Garmin 530 over the little 2 inch screen on the KLN94.

Too bad the epic flight system which is in the AB139 is as expensive as my entire aircraft. At the end of the day, all of this is overkill for a VFR aircraft but, it is not that expensive to add relative to the overhaul and I am not short on power or lift.

With respect to the data, I will check that out. It is my understanding that neither use proprietary data?