PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 11:40
Dave Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lu

>"Why do you feel that a Bell rotor system emulates the qualities of a gyroscope just because it has a 90-degree pitch horn?"<

I don't.

The following statement is from an aerodynamist, who's name I've forgotten. "For blades freely articulated at the center of rotation, or teetering rotors, the response is lagged by exactly 90-degrees in hover".

The pitch horn does not make the rotor emulate the gyroscope. The pitch horn only aligns the cyclic control stick with the rotor.

>"Yet you totally discount the Sikorsky and all of the other multi blade helicopters. "<

I don't discount the Sikorsky. Its only that I, you and perhaps a few others are having difficulty understanding the basics, so it is probably a little premature to introduce additional complexities.

Re the Robinson helicopters:

Lu, we are currently having trouble with one attribute of the rotor. The rotor has dozens of attributes. It is therefore a little premature to come to conclusions on the Robinson's rotors. The best we can do, at this point in time, is speculate.

Re non-relativistic rotational kinematics

Nick explained gyroscopic precession a couple of days ago. Heedm went to even greater lengths in explaining it a couple of months ago. How can you keep asking for an explanation when it would appear that you are not attempting to delve into what they are saying?

I feel that this has to be understood before phase lag and delta-3 can be considered. You may wish to re-digest what they have said.

[ 21 November 2001: Message edited by: Dave Jackson ]