PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2001, 08:08
Dave Jackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Thanks Kyrilian

The Lock number could be a perfect way to scale the rotor.
It might also be usable for scaling the gyroscope, by using '1' as a constant for 'density x lift curve slope'

Heedm

>"As far as what type of non-relativistic rotational kinematics to use, drop the terms "gyroscopic" and "aerodynamic" and I'll agree with you.

I'm happy to drop the term 'gyroscopic'. It is a good one for holding a spinning bicycle wheel in your hand and saying "Wow". It is also a valid analogy for describing a basic teetering rotor head, which is used in conjunction with a 90-degree offset pitch horn and a swashplate.

I believe that the analogy with the gyroscope starts to lose its validity as delta-3, flapping hinge offset and rigid rotors are introduced. It will probably lose more of its validity as 'smart materials' are incorporated into the rotor blades. An expert in the field has stated that the swashplate is no longer totally compatible with many current rotorhead designs.

The helicopter rotor is an aerodynamic device. I believe that the best way to describe its operation, is aerodynamically (I.e. the blade flies to position), now and even more so in the future.

So what have you got to say to that?

Lu

Why introduce the control system for 'warp drive' into the argument when we are still try to put the simple gyroscope to rest.