PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why pay $75,000?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2005, 03:30
Rich-Fine-Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocksteady:

I hold an Instructor Rating and all the other ticks in the box but currently don't instruct.

I have aviation business interests, in a few different areas (and before you ask, no lotto or inheritance here either).

However, 20+ years ago, I started as a self-funded student. i.e., I earnt money and spent it every weekend. No parents or parents houses to live in etc.

No different to most/many other Pilots...........

(and those Pilots lucky enough to have someone else pay - good luck to you!).

A quick perusal of several university web sites does in fact indicate professional degrees costing $60K+ before completion.

Whether HECS is used, a student loan or pay-as-you-go. The money comes from somewhere. Even if HECs was available for aviation (as it was/is in NZ), it still has to be paid off one day.

A newbie Lawyer or Doctor does not walk straight into a litgation firm chasing ambulances or into a cosmetic surgery making boobies - they start at the bottom, learning their trade as an 'apprentice'.

And as you have no doubt discovered, nor do newbie CPLs walk into a good job.

As for paying for 'endorsements':

Ask any Lawyer, Doctor or Accountant etc. how many courses, lectures and post-grad. 'endorsements' they fork out for as they move in their career.

EVERY Professional has to fork out for 'endorsements' and 'currency'.

Granted, Aviation is by no means easy, however, nothing is easy. Every successful professional worked hard to get where they are.

And the successful Pilots, well they got off their Asses and chased opportunities....