PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 25th Jun 2005, 21:43
Knackered Nigel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But of course, we all know that if you are on different frequencies, there is no way that you will collide!

I have to agree that US ATC is poor with regard to maintaining safety standards. If readbacks are not wanted, then how will errors be spotted? I am sure that some airports are so busy that there is no time for a readback, but that is very dangerous.

Don't they all sound so cool on the R/T though?

London ATC are in my opinion the best, in terms of the amount of aircraft they deal with (as stated LHR, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted, City) and the fact that clearances are readback and LISTENED to. In addition, they are courteous and helpful (headings to avoid weather).

In fact, readbacks occur all over Europe (ICAO?).

Standard RT is there for a reason, why is it only the US carriers who come out with the non-standard stuff? "Clear take off" = "Here we go!"

Then of course, there are the French who insist on speaking French to their own, even after accidents where language was a factor in not allowing English speaking crew to be aware of other aircraft clearances.

Amsterdam are good too, but have many more runways than Heathrow!!

I guess we are all different, but are supposed to be in the same game with the emphasis on safe operations.

Lets stop having tantrums like little kids.