PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2001, 21:30
Jiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Nick said,

Regarding the reason why the underslung rotor doesn't move appreciably relative to the fuselage, please do not think I say it because I am a test pilot! The rotor cannot move appreciably differently from the swashplate because that is how it is connected mechanically. Please picture the pitch change links as you oppose the fuselage and rotate the disk through a new tilt angle - do they impose a pitch change on the blades? Of course they do, and that pitch change is going to force the rotor to follow the fuselage. Only a very fast fuselage rotation that matches the rotor's natural frequency will cause other motions. And the size and speed of typical ship motions do not cause the "dreaded rotor behaves with a mind of its own Lu Zuckerman syndrome".

Response,

So when I walk out to the hangar and stand on a step ladder and grab the end of the 206 blade and move it up and down from bump stop to bump stop, I see no change in pitch angle. Please re read my previous posting on this thread and I invite someone to tell me why I'm wrong.

Jiff