PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2001, 02:40
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: Nick Lappos

“The rolling deck has motions that are small potatoes compared to the rates needed to create big rotor forces, and the swash plate does not get driven by the rotor, only an ignoramous could tell you that. If the swash plate moves because the rotor is "following" the deck motion, what happens to the sticks in the cockpit, which must move with the servos, and therefore with the swashplate. The sticks and swashplate are held in position by the big servos, which take thousands of pounds of force to move them backwards against the pilot's stick”.

Response:

Once again Nick you have let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird ass. Nowhere did I ever say that the rotor developed feedback forces sufficient to overcome the forces developed by the servos. In fact it is because the servos hold the swashplate in the last commanded position that creates a resistance that when the blade moves in relation to the swashplate that resistance causes the blade to move against the pitch rod. Do the sticks move during pitch flap coupling? The answer is no. It is the same thing here if the rolling motion causes the disc to try and maintain its’ position due to gyroscopic rigidity and the disc moves in relation to the fixed control system then there will be a resultant pitch input.
Get you head out of your ass, not everybody flies a helicopter with a rotorhead that is six feet across with a very high moment of inertia and a high level of offset interlock nor, do they operate off an LHA or an aircraft carrier. There are smaller helicopters and there are smaller ships that have a very rapid roll rate. If you have ever been on a ship passing through the Davis Straits you would know. In that area the water flows from three different directions and on a ship that does not have bilge keels the roll and pitch rate are fantastic. So much so, we almost lost both of our helicopters over the side. One other point is that some helicopters operate on floats and are subject to unrestrained wave action. In the case of ships with rapid roll rates and helicopters operating on floats there can be large changes in the disc position. Everybody knows what you do and your level of expertise and because of that they have a great deal of respect for you. Hell for that matter I have a lot of respect for you but when you tell me and everybody else that my experiences operating off the back end of an icebreaker are false and the words of an ignoramus then I take offence. I keep telling you don’t get so personal.

“The answer that Lu is too ignorant to know is that the rotor stays at the same angle to the aircraft mast, and it develops some forces (very small), as it is moved about in space by the deck motions. Most decks have periods measured in many seconds, and motions of about 3 to 4 degrees (extreme deck motions for helos not using Haul-Down rigs is about 8 degrees - check the max deck angles in most operator procedures manuals). A rig or a large ship takes about 5 to 10 seconds to roll through that angle, so the roll rate is about one degree per second, maybe two. Compare this with a gentle hover cyclic wiggle, where you can generate 30 or 40 degrees per second roll rate”.
“Now you see why I must answer Lu's drivel, because he is so close in his crackpot drivel that he almost, almost makes sense”.

Response:

Read my response above especially the part about alligators and hummingbirds. Coming from a person of your stature people will begin to believe what you say about me. But as I stated before your opinions don’t effect me.

PS READ THE LAST FEW POSTS ON THE NORTH SEA CRASH THREAD.

[ 15 November 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]

[ 15 November 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]