PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATOP in the Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2005, 18:29
NewModelATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks BDiONU,

In the thread ‘Serco trying to buy DFS’ VectorLine wrote:

I'm pretty sure that the Red Baron has his eye on increasing his ‘sales territory’ to include this part of the world.
Also, as quoted by Ashley Smout, CEO of Airways New Zealand, in his keynote speech to:

ATS Maastricht 2003

At ATS Maastricht last year, Pierre Jeanniot, outgoing Director General of IATA, commented that he saw consolidation in our industry as being inevitable:

‘A truly liberalised environment should make it possible for the 180 Air Navigation Authorities to regroup into 20 to 30 ‘Regional Single Skies’ ... in a harmonised, cost effective way.’
There are already many ATCCs that do not operate underneath the airspace they control and Indian Call Centres have also demonstrated the power and economy of modern communication technologies.

Aircraft automation has clearly reduced the number of flight crew required and simplified the training required. If The New Model works as I propose then the same effects will be observed for ATCOs. The provision of fewer than 300 controllers may not then be such a tall order.

Therefore, while we may smile at the thought of other ANSPs bidding for NATS business, I don’t think it is a business risk that can be completely ignored.

Of course there will be those who conclude that The New Model is composed of the same empty promises as so many trumpeted ideas in the past. But almost everyone agrees that automation will come one day and I believe I have put forward good sound arguments. Someone’s got to find a solution one day. From the number of hits on my website during the night it is possible that someone in China is reverse engineering the code at this moment.