PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2001, 00:51
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: sling load

True, I do not have an engineering degree. I majored in Industrial Design with a minor in general science. I did take several courses that were a part of the Engineering curriculum but not enough to be called an engineer. After leaving school my first job was with Sikorsky and after completion of a fourteen-month training program I was given the title of Field Service Engineer. Ever since that time I have been working in various aspects of the engineering field and in every one of those jobs I was considered to be an engineer.

Regarding professional organizations I have belonged to many of them. If I wanted to take the time and expend the effort I could attain professional status as a Reliability Engineer, a Maintainability Engineer, A Safety Engineer or a Quality Assurance Engineer. At my age and experience level the obtaining of professional status does me no good.

Now, I will ask you the same question. Why do they call aircraft mechanics in the UK and most likely in OZ and NZ Engineers when they do not have an engineering degree?