PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 25th Jun 2005, 17:43
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be an attitude here that you measure ATC professionalism solely by the number of a/c shifted in minimum time - however they do it.

Well its not my measure of competence. I couldn't give a damn if everybody gets airborne today or next week.

Safety First.

If your airports were all designed in the 40's and continue to create chaotic and dangerous conflicts at intersections - wise up! Limit these intersecting runway operations. Its common to see mixing of t/o and landing traffic on each of three (or more!) runways at the same time - its pure insanity.

If that leads to delays - put some proper slot control systems in operation.
The taxi delays in ORD and JFK are already ridiculous at peak times. Hundreds of aircraft every day burning tons of taxi fuel for no good reason. Pure bullcrap.

Comone guys, put your pricks back in your pants where they belong, you are putting the fear of death into travelling Joe Public.
Maybe you missed the news - 400 people missed being killed by a matter of seconds in Boston a fortnight ago. Who's fault was that by the way?
Bury your head in the sand if you wish, but I want the public to know about this - maybe then we'll see some changes.

As for near misses as a measure of safety performance, I don't think we have the stats to back up any argument on either side.
Tell that to the skipper of that Aer Lingus Airbus.

I guess the US pilot who he nearly collided with is a happy camper too.

One last thing.
When a US ATCer asks me to do something I believe to be unreasonable or unsafe - I don't go hoking in my flight bag for my 'A Team' baseball cap and Joe Petroni ceegar.
Nor do I 180 and head for blighty.

NOWADAYS I JUST SAY NO!!

Works perfectly for me.