PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ditching a helicopter: (incl pictures)
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2001, 00:25
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

To: Heliport

“You are right to challenge flawed theories, and to correct misleading information.
Forums inevitably attract a wide variety of people, and there is nothing to prevent anyone continuing to push their pet theories even when those theories have been discredited in everyone's eyes except their own”.

Response:

You are totally correct in what you have stated however Mr. Lappos has only challenged my theories by telling me I’m full of crap to put it mildly. He has yet to offer any technical reason as to why my theories are false. I would suggest that you dig up my posts on this thread and see if I had asked him to respond on a technical basis. The only time he ever offered a technical answer regarding the 18-degree offset on the Robinson rotorhead. His explanation was that pitch flap coupling allowed the rotor system to behave as if it had a 90-degree phase angle and that all blade motion in response to cyclic input would take place within 72-degrees as opposed to 90-degrees on other helicopters and I am not fullky convinced of this and that is why i will have the test performed. Mr. Lappos can only disprove the theory about the rotor system being effected by wave action when the helicopter is on pop out floats when he offers the technical reasons why my theory is flawed.

“I think you can rest assured that a test pilot's views carry a great deal of weight on Rotorheads!
I suspect most people are more interested in what helicopters actually do in practice, than in what according to some pet theory they should, but don't”.

Response:

How about the views of a Senior Reliability Maintainability and Systems Safety Engineering consultant that has been in this field since 1968. What about the experience gained while in this field working on the Apache, The Cheyenne, The A-129, The EH-101, The AH-1J, The B-214 and all of the other Bell Helicopters in use at that time. How about my experience in the US Coast Guard working as a maintenance technician on Bell and Sikorsky Helicopters and, how about attending close to 18 Helicopter factory schools. I would think that that is worth something. I don’t place myself above Mr. Lappos and I really don’t care if he challenges me. However what I don’t like is when he responds on a very personal level and then he does not provide the technical material that counters my claims.

[ 11 November 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]

[ 11 November 2001: Message edited by: Lu Zuckerman ]