PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 25th Jun 2005, 15:02
PPRuNe Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPRuNe Radar - why did you delete my post last night!? I provided an important link debunking WC's nonsense assertions - and you deleted it.
Did I really ?? What makes you think that ?? If your post was was not abusive and provided a link which was not illegal then why would PPRuNe delete it ?

Fortunately others have commented and shown he hasn't a clue. There was nothing in my post that was any stronger than the language he's been using. Don't twist the debate. "I concede that things are 'generally' comparable on both sides of the pond."???? No they're not! Where'd you get that idea from exactly?
Generally comparable in absolute safety terms if you take the fatality incidents caused by ATC in Europe against those in the USA. (Not the UK, but Europe, of which we are an integral part). As for near misses as a measure of safety performance, I don't think we have the stats to back up any argument on either side. Much of Europe has still to put in place robust blame free reporting mechanisms which would provide the true record. Until there is consistent reporting across the globe then comparisons will always be subjective or anecdotal.

Look at the high numbers of 'Level Busts' reported in the UK. Most of the rest of Europe claim not to have them and wonder why the UK expends so much energy trying to prevent them. It is simply because there is no way for them to be reported and thus allow the level of occurence measured in those countries to be guaged. If there are no reports and therefore no incidence of 'Level Busts' then their logic is that they must not happen. Not sure why they think that crews would suddenly change their professional perfomance as soon as they enter UK airspace and be more inclined to have an error in UK airspace only.