PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning Strikes
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2001, 14:21
ditchy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CaptK,
Can tell you that I've been hit by lightning twice. First time in S55T. I got too close to a CB and was hit, Big noise, followed by vibration because a tip cap was blown off the blade end. Not the end of the world, but a few days later, while in a hole picking some water up, I got a momentary flash on the transmission chip light and it caught my eye probably because I was down in the shade of some big trees. Had a look at the chip detector and it was covered in sandy slivers. It turned out the lightning had come in the tailfin, gone along the fuselage and out through blade tip via transmission.
Result: transmission bearings all magnetised and within a few hours were disintegrating rapidly.Transmission had to be replaced.
Second time in a turboprop, lightning came in propellor,through the engine and out through wingtip wicks. Unfortuneately all bearings in engine[PT6] also started to disintegrate withing 10 hours. Our engineers reckoned you had about 15-20 hours before an engine or transmission would fail after lightning passing through it. You'll have an entry and exit point and may be able to determine the route the lightning takes through your airframe.
My advice to you is that if you think any of it passed through your engine or any transmissions, check them all every few hours for at least 30 hours. Don't rely on the chip lights, my S55T light only blinked once even though it was covered in this sand like metal from the bearings. Pull the plugs off and look yourself.