PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Near Collision at BOS between Aer Lingus and US Air
Old 25th Jun 2005, 13:24
Idunno

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPRuNe Radar - why did you delete my post last night!?
I provided an important link debunking WC's nonsense assertions - and you deleted it. Fortunately others have commented and shown he hasn't a clue.

There was nothing in my post that was any stronger than the language he's been using. Don't twist the debate.
"I concede that things are 'generally' comparable on both sides of the pond."????
No they're not! Where'd you get that idea from exactly?

West Coast - 09L KORD is too uncomfortably short for heavies. If you knew anything about what you're spouting about you'd know there's only one RWY09 under discussion and it ain't 09L.
Of course you'd probably consider it a challenge to your manhood if you were ordered to land a 747 on 09L - so you'd have to do it anyhow, and bugger the consequences to the aircraft or passengers, right?

I'd consider it if I was on fire and it was the last runway open - but otherwise, you commuter types are welcome to it.

The DHL accident occurred late at night in airspace with practically no other traffic around. Don't compare that single freak accident to the near misses that occur every day in overloaded US airspace controlled by stressed out prima donnas - the odds are not on your side.

If KORD is 20% busier than EGLL by movement statistics - do you think that means the controlling is allowed to be 20% worse in KORD as a result? Whats your point with that?
ATC in the US isn't 20% worse than the UK - its 100% worse, all the time, everywhere.

There's only one standard required - not two as you seem to believe. There is no 'A Team / B Team' claptrap - but a single standard that should be applied - always.

I used the word 'discredited' because in my view any 'profession' becomes discredited when it has lost the RESPECT of its clients or customers. I don't know a single pilot (and I include the many US pilots I know) who has an iota of respect left for US ATC.

The LAHSO situation that Human Factor just related is another concrete example of the daily war fought by foreign pilots with US ATC. They insist on issuing clearances that they know are illegal or impossible to accept, and then lose the head if you reject it. Your solution? Don't go there. Great. How about retraining the whole ATC corp to understand the actual capabilities of heavy jet aircraft? Tell them that a clearance to fly an ILS at 200 knots to the OM is impossible - yet I've been told to try it (and gee, I didn't - I refused, what a wimp).

I see your profile says you are an ex-Marine? You're a scary guy! I hope I never sit in anything you're driving - care to tell me who you work for so I can avoid you?
"Perhaps you do, but I don't concern myself with what others think of me."
This is the redneck yankee attitude we've come to know and hate worldwide of late.