PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sustainable Aviation Strategy. Just a load of hot air?
Old 25th Jun 2005, 13:07
7006 fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am pro-environment and have read all the contributions with interest. I am not a scientist, failed Physics A level. But am keenly aware of the changes in climate and Nature, flowers blooming earlier, birds nesting sooner than expected and so forth.
I read an article in The Times a while back, wish I had kept it, but the wife threw it out! It gave a brief outline of fuel efficiency and routes. It seemed the most 'environmentally friendly' flight was about 3 hours, this allowed maximum engine efficiency, the curve then rose again for a period and dropped later on. The graph was super-imposed on a map of the world with flights eminating from UK. The worst offenders were the 1-2 hour hops.
The article showed the damage caused to the upper atmosphere rather than the CO2 build up. What was suggested to be happening to the Ozone layer was very worrying. Tempests and floods I can cope with, wandering around covered in sack-cloth against the UV...no way.
It there any evidence to suggest this damage to the Ozone layer, which I understand is damaged by the long chain carbon molecules that used to be found in aerosols, but also exist in Avtur and other oil based fuels?

Many thanks