PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future rotorcraft control systems
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2005, 10:44
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaxTork,

Must admit it took me a while to see the subtlety of this, but i see what you are getting at. Basically you are fitting in additional weights into the Lockheed gyros to force RRPM control. Very neat, since this obviates the need to find methods of getting collective input into the rotor head.

I was thinking along the lines of a govenenor fitted as part of the collective control. This would clearly still need mixers in the pitch links so that collective and cyclic would have authority over the blade pitch. I think i like your system better...

You mentioned about varying the mast head spring to keep RRPM exactly constant with varying collective pitch, how would this work? Also, how does the pilot override the mechanism for collective flare? I still think that putting the collective down should trigger this, maybe with the servo i mentioned for continued hands off collective control.

A model is the best way to test the dynamics of this system. I just suggest the cad as a good (but not necessary) way to get there. Definately this concept would need a ground rig to prove it out, maybe based on the Sikorsky/Schweizer S300 head. Machined wood is ideal for this...

BTW anyone else getting the feeling that the Lockheed gyro system deserves a reappearance in light private helis - best wishes and Godspeed Lu...

Mart

[Edit: 'cos i types faster than i thinks ]

Last edited by Graviman; 25th Jun 2005 at 11:09.