PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 Year Gap Too Long?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2005, 08:16
jamestkirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hang on a minute

Will

You gained your F ATPL etc when you were 20 years old, which does show an amount of determination and maturity. I remember what i was doing at 20 and it definately was'nt study. I believe this holds your character in a good position.

I would therefore think verycarefully before telling prospective employers that you gave it all up to work in the film industry in Australia. If you were a 5 bar, old school, bit arragont Captain of an airline; what would you think of that decision.

Like you, I have been involved with acting/theatre for the past six yearsand foundthat the only people really interested in your achievements in that field are other fellow thesps.

You may need to lie a bit but most people do. That's not a cynical statement as i worked in HR for many years and if you show me 10 CV's, i'll show you about 10 lies on it. Most people on this site (including myself) may stretch the truth just a little to give an edge.

Personally, I would just say that tyou went back to Oz for personal reasons and maybe some sort of family business. then leave it at that. Concentrate on your desire to start at an early age and achieve what you did seven years ago. Explain to anyone that EVEN after seven years of putting the whole thing on hold, you are as committed as ever to complete what you started.

Enthusiasm is very important.I am sure that if any of your film work included acting, that's something you can put accross.

Marlon Brando said " the most important thing for an actor is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you can fake anything"

I got three job offers from (non-aviation) employers in ther space of a month on my interview technique. It's just a pity i did'nt want the jobs. And a bigger shame i cannot get that chance in an airline at the moment.

I hope it all works out for you

J.T.K